Tuesday 28 May 2013

Bikini and Body Confidence


Hello everyone,

So I was browsing the internet for some summer beauty inspiration and came across a post from Super Savvy Me that stated that 'Most Women Do Not Feel Confident In A Bikini!' Well upon reading this I thought, tell me something I don't know! I think it's safe to say unless you're an amazingly confident person who never has any worries or fears - in which case I'm extremely envious of you - that we all have had that moment of dread when thinking about going out in a bikini. It's the whole idea of being fully exposed and having everything there on show for anyone to see. No matter how tall, short, fat, thin or anything in between most people will have a body hang up in some way or be just a little bit self conscious of the way they look. The best part being that more often than not, no one else cares at all and it's all in our heads! 

But this got me thinking how self conscious I actually am when going away or knowing I'll be seen in just a bikini. Now most people if they see me wouldn't believe I'd have any issues at all. I am very very slim, too slim in fact and could probably do with putting on a bit of weight! But that doesn't mean I don't have body worries. I'm forever plagued with the whole thing that because I'm so slim literally I feel like everything and anything I eat goes straight to my stomach and then I end up with a nice little food baby! Not what you want when you're trying to walk around in a bikini! Of course anybody else would probably be saying 'What on earth is she talking about?' 'Her stomach is so flat!' 'Food baby? Does she need glasses?' In answer to all of these Yes I am probably imagining it and yes I'm making it seem 10 x worse than it ever is. But that's the thing about confidence. It's how you feel in yourself, and often no matter how many times someone else tells you something you still don't fully believe them! 

So I've been thinking about ways that we can have an 'instant' body boost of confidence.There certainly has to be some way of boosting this even if it's just a tiny bit! Super Savvy Me does actually have a few suggestions of their own but I'm not sure how effective they'd be, I mean can something so simple as these things really work? I guess you shouldn't knock something unless you've tried them. So over the next few days I'll be posting a different Summer body boosting confidence idea and here is the first one:

Get a pedicure!

Apparently it really is that simple. According to research they carried out on some of their panel the easiest way to instantly give yourself a bit of a body confidence boost is to treat yourself toes to a pedicure! I know I didn't think that something so small could be effective either. But their beauty editor stated that seeing well groomed, bright and vibrant coloured toes will instantly lift your mood and of course in the summer months we (should) have our feet on show a lot more. (After all we should all be in sandals and showing off our Flip Flops, although if you live in Britain I would beg to differ when that opportunity may be!) 

Going on the theory that this works I suggest we all get ourselves down to our local nail and beauty salons pretty sharpish! I know my feet could certainly do with a bit of TLC as I have neglected them a lot over this winter! In fact my nails are awful looking at them! Maybe a pedicure will give me a boost just because I've had a bit of a pamper! Although if you're like me and a bit strapped for cash right now, a luxury pedicure may be out of the question. So here are some little tips for ways you can treat yourself at home...


  • File and Trim your nails to a square shape as this avoids the risk of the nail becoming ingrown. Which I can tell you is not pleasant in any way, shape or form! 
  • Next ensure the nails cuticle beds are all removed by using a cuticle remover and stick to push the nail beds back. 
  • After this you want to ensure the nails are free of any old polish, so make sure you're using a good quality nail varnish remover such as Andrea Fulerton Pump It Up Nail Varnish Remover £3.99 from Superdrug and cotton pads and give your toes a wipe over. Then use a nail buffer to smooth over the nails and get rid of any flaky bits as this will ensure your nail polish goes on much smoother.
  • Now get a bowl of warm water and soak your feet for 10 minutes. This should soften up the skin and make it easier for when you're buffing your feet to remove all the dead and hard skin. 
  • As you might have guessed next you should use a foot file to remove all the hard skin off the bottom of your feet, alongside a foot exfoliater/scrub and get those gorgeous smooth feet you deserve. I'd recommend the Superdrug Intensive Foot Scrub £3.49 from Superdrug as it contains gentle exfoliants, jojoba seed oil and aloe vera which will smooth and soften rough and dry skin. 



  • Then use a moisturiser, a specified foot one is best such as the CCS Foot Cream 175ml £7.99 from Superdrug. This is as specialized foot moisturizing creams are more effective in dealing with the intensity of the hard skin of feet and will keep the feet softer and less dry for a longer period of time. Which hopefully will prevent any further problems developing.
  • Now just give your nails one last wipe over with some nail varnish remover to remove any grease and oil. Before applying a nail strengthening base coat. 

  • This is probably the best bit! Choosing which colour to use as your varnish! The hot colours for summer are Bright Pink, Orange and Turquoise Blue. These are some of my favourites below: 
Barry M Blueberry Ice Cream Nail Polish £2.99 from Superdrug.

Nicole  by O.P.I Nail Lacquer in City - Pretty Rose £7.99 from Superdrug.


Max Factor Glossfinity Nail Cerise £5.99 from Superdrug.


But of course you should go with whatever takes your fancy! Once you've selected your colour apply two coats (allowing time to dry in between). Before finishing off with a clear topcoat.

That should just about complete your own DIY pedicure. So what do you think, can a pedicure really be all you need to get that boost of body confidence? 

Emily x

All images sourced from the Superdrug Website

1 comment:

  1. I definitely feel better when I have a fresh pedicure. I agree that it could be an easy way to boost confidence!

    ♥, Em
    http://itsemmaelise.tumblr.com

    ReplyDelete